News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: White circles/bumps on upper lip. Fordyce spots?

allpointswest - Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Hello, I am 23 year old male. Last year I noticed a white circle right in the middle of my upper lip. It looked a bit like a whitehead or a cold sore but it wasnt red, itchy, or painful and hasnt gone away in over a year. It also isnt really a bump, just a white spot under the skin. It was rather small, but still embarrassing for its resemblance to a cold sore. I I recently noticed 3 or 4 more of these on my upper lip and am becoming very concerned. Some are bigger and other smaller and worry if they are spreading or growing. My question is two fold,
1. What are these? After searching the boards I see they might be Fordyce spots.
2. How can I treat them or make them less noticeable. Is there any particular behaviors that tend the make them worse or make more of them? I smoke cigarettes (not to many a pack a month or so) and drink on the weekends.

Here is a photo:

Thank you so much for your time and help!
-AllPointsWest
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible you have hit this on the head but it would require a dermatologist to be sure and that would also be the right course for treatment. If you are correct this is a harmless condition, is not caused by a virus (like cold sores) and is not contagious, but since it bothers you cosmetically it is sometimes responsive to Tretinoin gel or even Accutane followed by the gel. Sometimes they are removed by freezing but you should not squeeze or scratch these.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here