Question: warts of the backs of my hands....

mcsdc - Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:36 pm

I am a 36 year old male. I used to have very nice skin on the backs of my hands to the point where people have even commented on it. Over the last three years or so, however, I have developed numerous dark spots , some of which are slightly raised, and dozens of small bumps that resemble flat, smooth warts over the backs of my hands and on my fingers. I have one big wart on the back of my left hand that recurrs even though I use an over-the-counter med that gets rid of it.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to regain my healthy skin, or if it's something that I should see a doctor about.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

It is important that your diagnosis is correct to be sure you are treating the right condition. If these are truly common warts, home remedies can be quite effective if you use as directed and don't stop. Prematurely ceasing treatment is the most common cause of failure with these acids. They can be quite effective when used properly. You may also benefit from keeping these covered with an occlusive tape. This seems to help.

Whether or not your skin will be the same afterward is anyone's guess. A visit to a dermatologist would be your best bet to first, find out if the treatment is correct, and second, to determine if any further treatment can help the overall condition of your hand.

|