News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: warts of the backs of my hands....

mcsdc - Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Hello,

I am a 36 year old male. I used to have very nice skin on the backs of my hands to the point where people have even commented on it. Over the last three years or so, however, I have developed numerous dark spots , some of which are slightly raised, and dozens of small bumps that resemble flat, smooth warts over the backs of my hands and on my fingers. I have one big wart on the back of my left hand that recurrs even though I use an over-the-counter med that gets rid of it.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to regain my healthy skin, or if it's something that I should see a doctor about.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is important that your diagnosis is correct to be sure you are treating the right condition. If these are truly common warts, home remedies can be quite effective if you use as directed and don't stop. Prematurely ceasing treatment is the most common cause of failure with these acids. They can be quite effective when used properly. You may also benefit from keeping these covered with an occlusive tape. This seems to help.

Whether or not your skin will be the same afterward is anyone's guess. A visit to a dermatologist would be your best bet to first, find out if the treatment is correct, and second, to determine if any further treatment can help the overall condition of your hand.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here