Question: Awful underarm smell

Belinda Cruz - Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:03 am

I've had this problem since I was 12 years old. I've already tried different deodorants to no avail. Ive also tried different medicines for hyperhydrosis but the smell continues and it's really embarrassing. Lately i went to a doctor and he prescribed roxythromycin the smell was gone for a few days but became worst when i stopped drinking after seven days(as he prescribed) . Do I have any other option?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 pm

Sometimes it takes two or three different medications to find something that will fix the problem. You should return to the dermatologist to report your lack of long-term solution so he/she can explore other possibilities.

Some people are mores susceptible to the bacteria that cause body odor. And some have a condition, hyperhidrosis that causes excessive sweating. In some cases there is a surgical procedure that can permanently help in these cases. You may find that certain foods offend more than others and if you can notice this, you might make changes. Of course daily bathing is important and you may benefit from using a talcum powder afterward.

Wear only fabrics that can breathe such as 100% cotton. You may even benefit from some forms of alternative medicine and relaxation as with Yoga. There are many health benefits that come with this activity.

Good luck

|