News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Isolated Pale hard rash with red halo superior to the Ankle

FFD - Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:28 pm

NKA, have the same pet x5 years. Rash started about 2x mos. Unknown onset nor provocation. Rash does not itch. I have not scratch the site since the day I became aware of its existence. The rash is isolated inferior to my ankle and lays on the Left lower posterior section of my Left Leg; It started about the size of my thumb, currently it has evolved into about 1" in height and about 0.5" in width. It has an oval shape, with a the skin pale and ashy (hard) and a halo of red dots arround the perimeter; within the halo there are minimal red dots as well. I have tried neorosporin with a no effect on the rash. I have tried lotion, Alloe, Cocoa butter and no effect, actually the alloe had a burning sensation, and I rinsed it out with water. Is there any disease or condition that can be concluded out of this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello -

There are so many potential causes for a lesion of this description that it would be very difficult to narrow it down to one or two. I think if it is still present then it should be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible, since it could be something simple as a localized irritation or something more serious such as a systemic infection (Lyme disease?), one of several sorts of skin cancer, reaction to a bite from an insect or other pest, etc. Even with your very explicit description there are too many possibilities to make a guess without having seen it and possibly culturing it or performing some blood tests. I take it there are so far no generalized symptoms, but the fact that it seems to be evolving is of some concern.

Please have this looked at and follow up with us subsequent to the exam. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here