Question: Skin on my ring finger will not heal

HappyLady27 - Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm

I have wore my wedding rings for two years all of the sudden my skin under them starts brakeing out it gets dry and starts pealing and is very sore. If I peel the skin off it may bleed a bit. once it heels it cracks open again and it itches. I don't know what to do, will I never be able to wear my wedding rings again?
Thanks,
Happy Lady27
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm

You may have developed an intolerance to the metal in the rings or there may be some other reason why this is happening. What you'll need to do for starters is to stop wearing them for a while, keep the affected site very clean and dry, but not so dry that it's abnormal. If it is too dry, then use a little lotion to soften it, just so the skin is the same as the rest of the hand. Then, if there remains a chronic irritation, try using some hydrocortisone cream on the site for a while. If it starts to improve, keep doing it according to directions for at least a week to 10 days. If it resolves, try wearing the rings again, and see if the irritation returns quickly. If it does, you probably have some sort of allergy to the metal. If it returns slowly, there may be some environmental cause, and you might have to consider taking them off at night.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|