News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin on my ring finger will not heal

HappyLady27 - Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm

I have wore my wedding rings for two years all of the sudden my skin under them starts brakeing out it gets dry and starts pealing and is very sore. If I peel the skin off it may bleed a bit. once it heels it cracks open again and it itches. I don't know what to do, will I never be able to wear my wedding rings again?
Thanks,
Happy Lady27
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm

User avatar Hello -

You may have developed an intolerance to the metal in the rings or there may be some other reason why this is happening. What you'll need to do for starters is to stop wearing them for a while, keep the affected site very clean and dry, but not so dry that it's abnormal. If it is too dry, then use a little lotion to soften it, just so the skin is the same as the rest of the hand. Then, if there remains a chronic irritation, try using some hydrocortisone cream on the site for a while. If it starts to improve, keep doing it according to directions for at least a week to 10 days. If it resolves, try wearing the rings again, and see if the irritation returns quickly. If it does, you probably have some sort of allergy to the metal. If it returns slowly, there may be some environmental cause, and you might have to consider taking them off at night.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here