Question: still getting acne at 26 when will it end

kazza26 - Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:14 pm

ive had acne since i was 12 and that age i was told by the time i was out of my teens the acne would be gone obviously it wasnt so i used over counter treatments none worked,ive tried creams and tablets from the dr and didnt work,i did use a pill called dianette for a while that shrunk the spots a little but i couldnt stay on them for ever and they came back just as big when i came off,i went back to the drs a yr ago when i was 25 and he basically told me that i was far too young to worry about acne and i still have time to grow out of them,i know people in their 40s with acne,how old will i be when they go 95.i asked the dr if he could refer me to a dermologist and he said there was no need i was too young,my friend is 20 yrs old and was referred to a dermologist and she said her spots werent as bad compared to mine and cant understand how i am to young but she isnt,i know its only spots and its not the be all and end all but its just frustrating because people do judge you by them,i mean am not a teenager and i feel i am trapped in a kids body.the dr did give me some cream which i knew wouldnt work as ive had it before and yes it didnt work,he made me feel like i was wasting his time,its been a yr since then and ive still got them,im to nervous to go back to dr for it but u have to go through a dr to get to a dermologist in uk,my friend whos been seen by a dermologist is on roccotine,so can you tell me how at 26 with severe acne i am too young for roccotine yet a 20 yr old with mild acne isnt and any tips on how to get rid,please dnt say stuff like cut down this cut down that because i don't smoke barely drink and i have mates who smoke 40 a day drink and have junk food with the perfect skin thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:53 pm

Acne is hardly unusual in the mid-20s, and there are some very potent antibiotic medications which are usually tried first, then if they don't provide significant relief there is Accutane, which is an extremely potent drug with a lot of potentially serious side effects, especially if not take precisely as directed (which is why a signed agreement called an "iPledge" agreement) must be signed by the patient. Nevertheless, this and other more stable medications are certainly available and you are by no means "too young" to be treated for moderate to severe acne.

My best suggestion to you would be to either get that referral to a dermatologist from your current doctor or, if it's practical, change doctors, since this one has not given you very reasonable advice about the problem. Acne is best treated early because a) young people are more self-conscious about their appearances, and b) the longer acne is active, the greater the opportunity for it to cause permanent scarring, which can be avoided by appropriate medical treatment.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 kazza26 - Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 am

yes accutane is known as roactunne here in uk they stuff my friends on ,yes il try again thanks
 kazza26 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm

well i went drs and asked if i could go on accutane or roaccunte as its known here and they said no as i hadnt put enough effort gettin rid of the acne by any other means ,so 14 years of face creams and antibotic isnt enough effort,my friend whos 20 with milder acne then me is on roaccutane and shes furious i was told that. anyways the doctor did how ever give me a topical medication called zineryt ,if this doesnt work il just have to throw acid in my face as obviously the dr has no intentions of ever giving me roacctune so lets hope it works,thanks for your help

|