Question: Painful lumps and blisters appearing on legs and wrists

dhawk - Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 am

My skin has lumps filled with puss, and they have areas similiar to blisters, the scabs are black but when i shower they get very soft and fall off, i was told i had a fungal infection but im scared it could be more than that, are these symptons similar to any skin diseases?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:51 pm

This is likely to be due to skin infection causing pus containing boils. According to your description bacterial and/or fungal infection are likely to be the cause.
Mixed infections are usually more difficult to treat. The best way to identify the underlying organism and to eradicate the infection is to do culture and sensitivity from their drainage.

If fungal infection is suspected, skin scraping for direct microscopy and culture may be needed.

For specific types of abscess like complicated follicultis, acne and hidradenitis suppurativa (blocked sweat glands), antibiotics may be used regularly to prevent recurrence. Some abscess needs to be drained.

The treatment is primarily based on the causative organism that would direct the choice of the prescribed antibiotics (including antifungals) in addition to the clinical condition. Any underlying conditions that weaken the body immune system like diabetes mellitus DM should be checked and controlled.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor, thorough history and direct clinical examination are essential to reach the proper diagnosis.

Please keep us updated.
 dhawk - Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:01 pm

Thank You, very much for your reply, I was able to go back to a doctor and after a closer examination they found i had shingles, that had gotten infected over time. I appreciate and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:47 pm

You are welcome and hope you recover soon.

Please keep us updated.
 karissa263 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:25 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I had a large "boil" on my left ankle. I, at first thought it was an infected ingrown hair. But then a few days later, I had two more on my upper right thigh (nowhere near my groin.) At that point, I started thinking I was being bitten by some sort of spider. (I had been seeing a lot around my house lately.) But I have since had two more (Another on my thigh and one just below my left knee.) They are red, very painful, warm to the touch, and filled with pus. The entire sore area is about 4 inches in diameter on each blister. I looked up online what they might be, and the closest thing I could find was abcsesses. However, I can't find anything about multiple abscesses. It seems very strange that I should get so many in such a short period of time. I can't find anything about what would be causing this. I have great hygeine and am very worried. Can you help??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:53 pm

User avatar Hello,These abscesses are bacterial in origin and generally caused by staphylococci many a times resident in normal skin flora.When the is a lessed immunity,these gain access in the skin.They can be multiple.Differential diagnosis incude cold abscess in tuberculosis,far different fron the hot bacterial abscess,and deep fungal infections,mostly chronic.Hidradenitis suppurativa is more localised to axilla and groin.Deep fungal infections like sporotrichosis also cause multple abscesses after,like a thorn injury,it spreads along the lymphatic tracts to cause multiple abscsses.Best treated with antibiotics,and incision and drainage,if necessary -if it is a bacterial abscess.Bestwishes.

|