News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Herpes zoster in healthy young woman?

healthycat - Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:53 am

I am a very healthy 23 year-old woman, and I was told just a couple of days ago that a place on the side of my breast is either herpes zoster or herpes simplex. I do not have genital herpes and have never had a cold sore. Investigating non-genital herpes, the only form of herpes simplex I could find was the oral type, and I could find nothing on herpes simplex occuring on one's "trunk." I have come to conclude that it must be shingles, or herpes zoster, but I can't find anything on shingles in otherwise completely healthy young people without autoimmune conditions. If I am dealing with herpes simplex, how could I have contracted it (I am not in an intimate relationship), and why has it appeared in this unusual place? If it is herpes zoster, why did I develop it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
Anyone with a history of chickenpox can develop shingles later in their life. While it is not common in young people such as yourself, it does happen with some regularity in otherwise healthy individuals, depending on your own body's immune system. Antiviral medications can help. The virus lays dormant in your body but then when stressed for some reason it can reactivate along the nerve lines on one side of the body.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here