Question: bumps (one persistant) on butt

pinkgreenxocd - Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm

I'm 18, female and the only other known problem similar to mine is a cist my dad's had on his butt and similar ones on his neck (which he's had removed). The one my dad had made it very uncomfortable for him to sit, and it was at the top of his buttcrack.

We have financial issues so I hope to find out if the problem is self treatable before taking it to a doctor's office.

I've been getting one persistent large lump on my right butt cheek. It never really goes away, and about once a month it becomes a problem for me to sit. Sometimes puss comes out of it, and sometimes when it comes back nothing comes out. Right now, it's barely noticeable but i still feel a little lump. When it (for lack of a better word) comes back, it's a sort of purple-red color and it hurts. Sometimes it itches, and when i itch it, the puss comes out. My boyfriend insists on letting him pop it, but when he touches it, it hurts too much. It's also about the size of a dime. When it's not a problem, it looks like a scar from a pimple.

Aside from that, I also get something similar to acne all over my butt-area. Soap doesn't seem to do the trick, and that's why I'm here.

Something else that may be related, or may not be, are bumps on my thighs. They seem to appear more when I haven't shaved, lotion irritates them, and they are small to medium sized, red, and more of a rash than bumps. They don't itch, and they never go away. They never appear anywhere else other than on my thighs (and i shave my armpits and pubic hair as well).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Some people are more prone to boils on the buttocks, which are usually caused by inflamed hair follicles. Warm baths sometimes can be helpful, as these things (as you know) can be pretty painful when sitting. The fact you also have similar but smaller bumps on your thighs suggest you may have generalized folliculitis, which may be due to a number of things, but most often is caused by a staph infection. Staph germs are commonly found on the skin, but certain conditions can cause them to find their way below the surface via hair follicles, where they find a hospitable environment. When this happens it's often necessary to treat the problem with antibiotics. There are also some fungal infections which can cause the same type symptoms, but which are treated with different medication.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us as needed.

|