News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Painful hard red lump on throat above adams apple

birkski - Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm not sure if this is related but i will say it to help with possible diagnosis. I was diagnosed with mono on the Oct 8th, no complications or anything out of the blue besides ordinary symptoms. However in the last couple weeks ive had a stiffness/sore pain on the front outside of my throat, like a muscle pain. This pain slowly moved across my throat over the span of 3 weeks and eventually went away. Then out of the blue it came back last weekend, but was focused right above my adams apple. At first it was very tender and i could feel puffyness as though it was swollen. Over the last week the swelling has condensed into a hard red lump about the size of a marble slightly off center about a half inch above my adams apple. It is nowhere near as sore as before, but if i put pressure it hurts. If i stretch my neck out it visible protrudes like a second adams apple. The only thing i could compared it with is one of those reaaally deep zits that you sometimes get where the spot is very tender and swollen slightly at first and then as time goes on it develops into a hard centralized deep zit that makes the skin go red and takes a while to go away. Very similar except this is far larger, like a small marble.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:09 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While what you're describing could be an inflamed parotid gland due to the recent bout of mono, it sounds much more like your description of a "deep zit", which in this case may well be a furnuncle or ingrown hair. This is a location where there are usually some sparse hairs, but they often are shaved any sometimes will become ingrown. Even without having shaved that low, these usually fine hairs can become ingrown and cause exactly what you've described. Often they will resolve on their own, but since your immune system has been compromised recently by mono, your body may be having a harder time fighting the inflammation and/or infection. If the thing stays for more than a week longer, or if it becomes more swollen, more red or more painful, you probably will need a doctor to check it and either drain it or, more likely, prescribe an antibiotic or topical ointment for it. These are usually very simple and most often will go away on their own.

There's also that remote possibility, because of the earlier pain and stiffness in that same location, that it is an inflamed parotid gland. Same thing applies. If it doesn't go away in a reasonable length of time (a week) or if it gets worse, have it looked at by a doctor. Usually the same care applies, although if it's a gland it's unlikely the doctor would want to drain it like an abcess.

Hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here