Question: **Extremely itchy thighs & itchy bumps on penis & scrotum?!

LMPJHD1016 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:57 am

About 5 weeks ago or so, a male cousin of mine moved into my family's house. I noticed him scratching his thighs a lot and he told me he "had a lot of itching down there" (meaning his genital area). Well, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed my thighs starting to itch like crazy. At first I just thought it was dry skin, so I started putting lotion on them. Since then, I have gotten bumps on the head of my penis, the backside of my penis (side that faces my body when erect) and scrotum that are reddish in color and itch a lot. They aren't painful at all. They'll appear, and then a couple days later, or even later on in the same day they appear, they go away. Then they'll reappear. A few bumps have appeared on my thighs. I think that my cousin may have taken a shower, used a towel, and put the towel back on the counter where I keep them instead of putting it with the dirty clothes, and then I used the towel, thinking it was a clean one, causing me to contract whatever it is he has. I don't see how it could be a sexually transmitted disease because I've only had sex with one woman, who I've been with for 6 years. She and I have only been sexually active with each other, but are now remaining abstinent until we get married. Do you have any ideas what could be causing this? I plan on going to my doctor to have it checked ASAP. Any help is appreciated!!! Thank you!!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:43 pm

As with most dermatology questions, the real answer usually lies with a personal exam so the lesion can be seen and ID'd. For this reason I'm really glad you've scheduled a doctor's appointment. Meanwhile, I think you can safely turn loose any thoughts of an STD, and it also seems fairly certain this is something transmittable, since the chain of events (involving your cousin with similar symptoms) suggests as much. What exactly got transmitted (and your guess is a sound one as to how) is difficult to say, and this could be fungal, some sort of mite-born irritation, or even a skin staphylococcus infection, all of which could have traveled by the most obvious route, which you've suggested as possible (towel or washcloth, or something similar).

I hesitate to go beyond that since I can't see what it looks like,but I feel certain it's more a nuisance than anything else, and hopefully your doctor will be able to name it on sight. Meanwhile, please follow up with us if necessary and please update us as to what you learn from your doctor visit. Good luck to you.

|