Question: Itchy raised bumps on belly

jacksparrowsgirl - Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm

I am hoping that someone could shed some light on my problem. Every couple of months, for a few days I feel run down like I am catching a flu or cold. Generally feeling not myself. I also get a low grade fever between 99.5 and 100. I got to bed and wake up with one or two red raised bumps that itch terribly. The next day I wake up and there are between 30-40 of them. They seem to spread all over my belly and my sides. They can't be chicken pox because I had the chicken pox about 27 years ago when I was in 3rd grade. They don't look like shingles because they do not run a straight line, are much bigger and there is an absence of pain that is associated with shingles.

They take weeks to go away. The itching and burning is driving me crazy. any idea of what this might be?? I am very frustrated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi there -

What you're describing does, in fact, sound a lot like shingles, from the bumps that become burning, itching rash, to the low-grade fever and malaise. The lesions don't always run in a distinct "band" pattern, but may nearly encircle the body in the affected area. Since you've had chickenpox you certainly have the herpes zoster virus on board, and it is inclined to resurface periodically in some people.

There are medications for managing these outbreaks or even preventing them. If this proves to be shingles it can be treated in much the same way as herpes (as it is caused by a herpes zoster virus). I'd be willing to bet this is what's happening in this case. You could be having some very unusual recurrent infection unrelated to shingles, but the description fits the description pretty perfectly, since pain is variable and sometimes burning and itching are the description of the discomfort.

I hope this is helpful and that you'll follow up with a physician and then with us here. Best of luck to you.
 jacksparrowsgirl - Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Thank you so much for your imput John. You are the first person on here with a possibility to what this might be and suprise!!! went to take a shower today and Their BAAACk. Felt the same malaise for the past two days with the low grade temp. Is there a specific test that they can perform to confirm the shingles??? Once again, many thanks!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am

User avatar Hi. You're very welcome. Remarkably reliable, this virus you've got. The problem is most often diagnosed by history and physical exam, but there is a test (I think it's called the Tzanck test) that may confirm the virus by taking a sample of fluid from one of the blisters or a scraping from the rash. This can be used to confirm the diagnosis, as well as blood work to possibly confirm a viral infection.

I hope this is helpful, and I hope you're feeling better soon. Best of luck to you.
 putillo1 - Tue May 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Jacksparrowsgirl:
I must say that you are describing pretty closely something that I had and still have for several years. I develop tiny little pink bumps on my groin and abdomen. I can tell that they are coming because my limph nodes feel painful before they appear. Once they appear, they burn and evetually dissapear (2 weeks usually) just to come back in about a month. I have been at numerous dermatologists and none seems to have an anwer. I had a biopsy done and they came to the conclusion that it was a virus (that's about it). The problem that I have is that it seems to be spreading more every time it comes back. If you find any help please let me know, I willdo the same. P

|