News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red patches around hips, glutes after showering

smootchick - Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:37 pm

This is a dermatological question.

I see this condition more when it starts getting colder outside. During and after taking a shower I get blotchy red patches on my hips and minimally on my glutes. They can be as small as an inch or so in diameter, but on one of my hips I've seen it get as big as about 3 inches in diameter. They are not raised, there are no bumps or itchiness, but the skin has the color of an intense sunburn.

After 20-30 minutes the patches go away.

One more thing, I was diagnosed with keratosis pilaris on the backs of my upper arms and on the front of my thighs, but lately I've been seeing similar bumps (they aren't bumpy as much as small red dots under the skin) just below my knees on my calves and I'm wondering if I might've been misdiagnosed?

Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

I assure you clinical diagnoses from dermatologists can vary from each unless some kind of pathological diagnosis is established (like by skin biopsy). The following list might help better understand the possibilities; although, the dermatologist is the best person to determine the exact cause.

Causes of whealing from Cold Exposure

Cold urticaria
Cold-induced (reflex) cholinergic urticaria:
Familial (essential) cold urticaria
Cryoglobulinaemia
Cold agglutinin disease
Cryofibrinoganemia
Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria
Post infection.
Insect stings.

- Allergy

Hope this helps.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here