News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Keliod from breast reduction

newbackpain - Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 am

Keloid Scarring
In 05, I had an breast reduction and the results were keliods under both breast and around the nipple area. I have tried everything to reduce the thickness and scarring of the area. Is there anything I can do to lighten the marks. My doctor gave me bleaching cream but this does not work.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 pm

User avatar Hi there -

For some reason some people are prone to develop keloids while others won't no matter what. The problem with them is when they are cosmetically a problem. There are some treatment routes, but the one that actually seems to have the most success and the least chance of worsening the problem is pulse-dyed laser therapy. It's safe, not very uncomfortable, and has, I believe, the least likelihood of causing unwanted results such as additonal keloid growth (which often happens when surgery is tried) or darkening of the keloid, as with some other approaches. Steroid injections are sometimes effective, and are fairly simple, but the keloid, while it may become flattened, often also becomes more red, which isn't that helpful. Wearing silicone sheets is often helpful in certain locations, but would be very awkward probably to keep in place in your case, and also works best when applied early on.

The pulse-dyed laser therapy is probably the best bet, but it does take usually several sessions to accomplish the best results. There is no way to completely eliminate keloids, but they can be reduced in prominence a great deal, and this may well be the best and safest route.

I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here