Question: Keliod from breast reduction

newbackpain - Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 am

Keloid Scarring
In 05, I had an breast reduction and the results were keliods under both breast and around the nipple area. I have tried everything to reduce the thickness and scarring of the area. Is there anything I can do to lighten the marks. My doctor gave me bleaching cream but this does not work.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 pm

User avatar Hi there -

For some reason some people are prone to develop keloids while others won't no matter what. The problem with them is when they are cosmetically a problem. There are some treatment routes, but the one that actually seems to have the most success and the least chance of worsening the problem is pulse-dyed laser therapy. It's safe, not very uncomfortable, and has, I believe, the least likelihood of causing unwanted results such as additonal keloid growth (which often happens when surgery is tried) or darkening of the keloid, as with some other approaches. Steroid injections are sometimes effective, and are fairly simple, but the keloid, while it may become flattened, often also becomes more red, which isn't that helpful. Wearing silicone sheets is often helpful in certain locations, but would be very awkward probably to keep in place in your case, and also works best when applied early on.

The pulse-dyed laser therapy is probably the best bet, but it does take usually several sessions to accomplish the best results. There is no way to completely eliminate keloids, but they can be reduced in prominence a great deal, and this may well be the best and safest route.

I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|