News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: small/medium bump where upper lip and face meet

sami_c - Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:27 pm

I attempted to squeeze a pimple that was probably not ready to be squeezed in doing so a bump formed that sort of looks like it would drain but I've tried that. It only hurts if I squeeze it, otherwise, its only a appearance thing. It has been there for over a month. I've tried leaving it alone, popping it, draining it, and I'm just all out of solutions.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:07 pm

User avatar Hello --

First, what you've probably got right now is an encapsulated cyst-like reaction to the pimple having been bothered by squeezing and attempting to pop it. It should resolve on its own over time, and you are very lucky if that's the case, since this is a special area (the triangle that is formed by the top of the bridge of your nose, down to the corners of your mouth). This area is special (and should always be left alone or treated by a medical professional) because most of the blood supply drains up and back,into the skull, which means there is a great potential for minor infections to be spread back up into the area of the brain, where meningitis can develop due to bothering something minor like this pimple or bump. If left alone most of these things will resolve on their own. It's never a good idea to try and pop pimples or boils (but very tempting nonetheless). It's a rare complication, but every year a few people do something like this and wind up with a life-threatening brain infection as a result. So please -- leave this thing alone now, and if it becomes inflamed or irritated please bring it to the attention of a doctor at once. If it stays as is or goes away, then that's great. But please don't manually fool with it anymore. Remember that area, because it really is a bad design flaw.

I hope this is helfpul to you. Good luck and please follow up with us here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here