News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: effective acne medication?

t.odeh - Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:03 am

Hello i am a 26 year old male who has suffered from acne since the age of about 14.My skin is very oily, i have tried accutane three times and 5 treatments of smoothbeam laser to try to reduce sebacious gland production with only temporary results.My questions is would 5mg Finasteride be a treatment option worth persuing and if so is 5mg daily an effective dose?

thank you. T
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 am

User avatar Hello,
This might very well help when other treatments fail. 5 mg. would be the recommended daily dosage of this medication. Also, continue to wash your face daily with mild soap, not harsh abrasives often advertised to help. Pat gently and avoid trauma to the face. Apply salicylic acid topically (lightly) and keep this routine up daily. Some people benefit from benzoyl peroxide as well. But, again, keep the amount minimal.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here