News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: shingles and cancer

queenbee - Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:59 am

My husband had a episode of shingles for the first time early in November. He is 60 and has been in excellent health. We have started a business and he has been working 12 and 14 hour days for 6 and 7 days a week this past year. He has been tired but that seems pretty realistic for the hours and time he has been pouring into the business. He also has lost some weight, but that also seems realistic with all the activity. When he went to the Dr. and discovered it was shingles, he was given two courses of acyclovir which he completed just before Christmas. He told me yesterday that the dermatologist wants him to go and be checked out because shingles is typically the first symptom of cancer especially leukemia. I just need some straight talk - is it typically the first symtom of cancer? I can deal with almost anything if I have some straight information....is this a real possibility or a precautious Dr?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:52 pm

User avatar Hello,
The link between cancer and shingles is kind of the other way around. A patient with cancer has a greater likelihood of getting it because the immune system is inadequate. In this way the doctor may be saying it could be a clue to undiagnosed cancer and it might warrant a complete exam to determine that your husband is in good health otherwise and that this is not a complication of latent chronic infection or disease. It's always a good idea to investigate possible causes of something like this.

Many people in your husband's age range suffer from shingles, which is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. The virus lays dormant in a person's body who had chickenpox; then it is activated at some time when the immune system is taxed. This could be due to stress, immune suppression such as cancer treatments, HIV infection, chronic disease, lupus, etc. Sometimes there is no apparent aggravating event at all and it's just luck of the draw. I suspect the doctor is just being cautious and covering all the bases in case it is something more.

Best wishes to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here