News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Itchy breasts inside not on skin with no rash

jeanette2 - Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:40 am

I have been having itchy breasts for a few months now... i don't think its on the skin as there is no rash or marks but its incredably itchy and feels like its deeper inside and i obviously marks them with scratching... could you give me some advice on what could be causing it and what might help.
Friends recommended Evening primrose oil capsules which i have been taking for couple of months not but they don't seem to have helped.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:33 pm

User avatar Hello --

This sounds very much like an unusual presentation of an allergic skin reaction called dermagraphism, where the itching tends to seem to come from inside (beneath the skin), and causes raised, hive-like marks when scratched, which usually makes the area itch all the more, leading to chronic irritation. Why this would occur just in the breasts I have no idea, but it usually does happen on the chest wall or upper abdomen anyway, so maybe this isn't all that much out of the normal area.

Best thing to try and control this is Benadryl. If this causes too much drowsiness there are other, slightly less effective antihistimines (Claritin comes to mind) and if this doesn't work you might need to have a doctor take a look. However, I feel fairly certain this is dermagraphic expression of an allergic reaction (which is often due to a mild autoimmune problem).

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here