Question: burned by steam now itchy red bumps on area of burn

EastlandLobo - Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:42 pm

I burned my wrist with steam about 10 days ago. I put TiFu and a loose bandage on it for about 24 hours. After that, it didn't sting any longer, so I didn't do anything else. It never blistered, but turned dark reddish purple. Two days ago, the spot started to itch really bad. I put antibiotic cream on it since the skin was starting to split from being dry. This morning it has a really red place about the size of a quarter and the spot is full of bumps. It is really red, really bumpy, and REALLY itchy. I work at a school and the school nurse said it LOOKS similar to infantigo, but it is definitely in the burn spot. What should I do? The itching is about to drive me crazy!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:22 pm

The concern for impetigo is that there could have been a staph infection - a real concern with burns. If this is the case an antibiotic should take care of it. But, the healing can have itching, redness and new skin growing looks different for quite a while. It would be wise to have a doctor take a look to see if treatment is needed or if it is just healing as it should.

|