Question: Head and face swelling after cyst removal

puffyface - Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:19 pm

On Wednesday I had two cysts removed from the left side of my head. Both measured about 1cm in diameter. The first incision was hard for the Dermatologist to get to stop bleeding and he had to use the burning tool to stop the bleeding. He also had to use deep stitches. Everything seemed fine until Thursday night and the left side of my forehead is swollen and red.

I went to the doctors Friday morning and he stuck a needle to check for fluid and nothing came out of either incision but my face is swelling now closer to my left eye and temple. He prescribed an anitbiotic today which I am taking but I am very worried about the swelling.

Not sure where to proceed from here.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm

It would seem there has to be fluid causing the swelling. If it's not encapsulated it could be infiltrated into the local tissues and might require steroid therapy to make it resolve. Simple needle aspiration won't work so well on tissue infiltration of fluids, and this could be what's happening. Hopefully your doctor has followed up on this, and if not, that it has resolved on its own. Please update us on this. Good luck to you.

|