News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Excessive Facial Hair on Chin/Neck/Cheeks

xojaveria - Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi, i have alot of facial hair on my face (neck, chin, cheeks, above eyebrows, above the lip). I'm 19 years old and it has basically gotten worse since puberty. I think its partially my fault because even after puberty the hairs werent as coarse and dark until i started to remove them myself (with wax, shaving, plucking)..due to embarrassment.
I wouldn't have thought much about until i read an article which explained the difference between normal/abnormal facial hair growth in women.
Along with excessive facial hair...i have irregular menstrual cycles (i don't know when i should be expecting the next one...however...i never have tried to keep in track either)...and i have alot of hair loss on my head (even though that could be due to showering too much? or because my hair is color treated...or stress).

Basically, my question is...whether or not i should get tested for PCO.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would definitely make an appointment since you very likely do suffer from PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and your symptoms are consistent.

Don't stress about plucking, shaving, etc. - this does not result in more hair; just coarser at first because it is cut bluntly and/or comes in at the same rate of growth, rather than somewhat randomly, putting each hair at the same growth stage, so it seems that way.

You can continue to take these aesthetic measures to avoid embarassment and it is expensive but laser hair removal is another option.

Also, washing your hair does not make it fall out faster. But hormone imbalance (thyroid hormones for instance) might.

Your doctor can determine if you might benefit from treatment for PCOS or even if you have another hormonal imbalance requiring medication. It is worth investigating.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here