Question: fungus/yeast growing on my head

ldschick - Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm

I went to a doctor and they told me to use a steroid foam on my head, but another doctor told my that the foam would only make it dormant, and that it would come back. I've already used a pill, but i got one of the side effects: loss of eyesight. So now I'm a little nervous to use the other pill, they tell me it can harm my liver. What should I do? Is there another remedy? And does the steroid only put the yeast to sleep?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 pm

User avatar Hi there --

I'm a little unclear on which medication you've taken and what caused the loss of eyesight, as well as wondering if you've recovered your eyesight yet, which is a lot more important than the yeast infection.

That being said, it's true steroid treatment will usually just mask the condition and "put the yeast to sleep" rather than kill it. The preferred medication is usually ketoconazol. I don't know if this is what you were given/suggested or not, but it is the single most effective anti-fungal for most situations, whereas steroids only provide temporary symptomatic relief.

Please clarify the issue of what you've tried and how your eyesight is also, and let me know if you've been given ketoconazol or have just tried the steroid foam. Neither of these medications should cause a loss of vision, although steroid foam in the eyes could certainly cause problems short term.

|