Question: dry scab turned hole, now a dark area on my leg

ikittycat - Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

in july of '08, I came back from vegas with some sort of a spider bite on my right leg. It swelled up quite a bit, 2-3 inches in length, but I never popped it or anything. I just touched it, cautious about leaving a scar. A week passed and it eventually became a dry scab that almost fell off. So I decided it was kind of ready, so I picked at it and a small round brown piece (dry skin or blood? who knows) came out. it left a small round hole in my leg! similar to a crater. left it alone again.. and now it has been 6 months or so and the hole has been covered with skin but it has left a dark brown area on my leg. This is different from my usual bug bites because those almost always fade away, but this one left a hole and now a dark spot. I've tried scrubing/exfoliating during showers but I haven't been successful. What can I do and will it go away?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 pm

It sounds as though you may have sustained a bite from a brown recluse, a very troublesome sort of spider which causes necrosis (tissue death) in the area of the bite. If that's what it is, you may have gotten off easy, since those guys often cause massive necrosis and very large "holes" or caved in areas, usually on the leg for some reason. Having picked at the scab was probably not the best idea,but it also probably didn't cause the hole you now describe, since most spider bites don't cause this sort of result anyway.

You should consult a dermatologist now to see what can be done to help the site heal properly and possibly rebuild it (make the "hole" go away) by means of collagen injection once it's definitely healed.

I hope this is helfpul. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 ikittycat - Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Thank you very much for responding. Now I know what I could have been bitten by.. and its scares me to think that the spider was on me. I looked it up and you were right. I did get off easy. i read that some scars can be as large as the palm of a hand. WOW I didnt know there were spiders that can create these "necrosis". I will see a dermatologist. Thanks again!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 am

User avatar You're very welcome. Scary, huh? They are some nasty little guys. Good luck to you.

|