Question: Body Changes Jewery color

clamy - Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Why do I Change The Color of My Earrings and rings from silver to copper? I Don't Get A Rash or anything from them My Body just changes the color and I also kill A new Watch with in 3 hrs if I where it on my wrist.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 pm

This is a common reaction and it has to do with body compositon that results in a chemical reaction especially in areas where you perspire such as under a watch face. You could also have an allergy. A few things you can try:

18 Karat gold, a more pure metal is less likely to cause a reaction and expensive Platinum rarely reacts with skin. Sometimes jewelry is coated to help and you can even try using clear nail polish, but the coatings are temporary and will eventually rub off so you have to repeat the process. Do the part of the jewelry that touches your skin. Sometimes it is a component of the metal such as nickel, silver or copper which can even be in gold jewelry to make it strong. If this is what you are sensitive to, a lower quality gold might still be a problem for you; not just the inexpensive stuff. Stainless steel or titanium jewelry will probably work better as will hypo-allergenic products which are formulated for people with sensititivy to metals. Keep your jewelry clean and wear it for short periods of time, keeping your skin dry when you do.

This is mostly luck of the draw - it's your particular challenge.

clamy - Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 am

Thanks for your reply but my body has no reaction to the jewelry at all, I just change the color of jewlery to a copper color including silver, and A new battery in A wrist watch dies on my wrist within A few Short hours so I have to carry A Pocket watch that doesn't directly touch my skin, I have no allergic reaction to any of it, my own doc can't figure it out either. Thank-You, Clamy
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

User avatar Oh, sorry, I jumped to conclusions and was not careful in reading your explanation. This puzzles me too. It must be some kind of chemical reaction, but I really don't know what. I hope someone else can help here.

Debbie
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:44 am

User avatar Hello,I literally got stumped trying to give a reply.We are more accustomed to give reply as to how jewellery can affect the skin but not vice versa.However the skin when sweat occurs oxidises the silver altering it.The skin aminoacids,body oils too are supposed to play a role in corrosion of metals.

|