Question: pink flat non-itchy dry spots on arms, shoulders and back

johannabartley - Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 am

These spots are small, about 3 mm in diameter, round and they appear to be randomly spread from my back to my arms. They don't itch (yet) and they look as if the skin is dry in that place. Any opinion is appreciated. Thank you!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:46 pm

User avatar Hi there --

There are a number of possibilities as to what these might be, and much depends upon the type of skin you have and your prior exposure to sunlight. There are radial keratoses which look rather like raised freckles; there are also actinic and seborrheic keratoses, and what you describe sound like they are probably among this class of growths, but may be something even less worrisome. However, the best way to be certain is to have them seen in real time by a dermatologist. These are not normal, and could be a sign of some sort of condition of the skin, but they could also be something more bothersome, and it makes sense to have an expert evaluate them. If they're not cosmetically problematic and not a health threat, they can either be treated or at least be safely left alone.

Wish I could give you a more concrete reply, but without knowing more and without being able to see the lesions first hand, it wouldn't be fair to you for me to just try and guess. Hopefully you can arrange a referral to a dermatologist or at least have your GP look at these.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|