Question: Dry/scaly mole that has changed colors, itchy and bleeding

chelsey12rose - Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I have a mole on the side of my abdomen that has been changing for last 6 weeks. It has become dry/scaly, almost scab like with dark red spots in it. It is itchy and painful to touch. Earlier today a portion of this scabby mole has tore off and has been bleeding for a while. Do moles "die" and fall off or is this more serious and requires medical attention? If so, how urgent is it? History of 2nd degree sunburns repeatedly summer after summer growing up in Southern California. Now live in Phoenix Arizona.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

While moles do sometimes become senile and die, what you're describing, especially given your history of severe sunburns and the places where you've lived and are now living, the far greater likelihood is that this is a classic presentation of a mole having turned cancerous. While it sounds like it may well be the less serious squamous cell cancer, the only way to be certain is to have the thing removed and biopsied at once. I can't overemphasize the urgency of having this clarified ASAP. If it's squamous it can be watched and removal may well put an end to it. If it's melanoma the problem will be more complicated and will require deeper excision and more thorough followup.

I hope this is helpful and that you will act with all due deliberate speed. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 chelsey12rose - Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Thank you for your insight. I have an appt scheduled with dermatologist. The mole did end up falling off but the spot where it once was looks odd. I appreciate your help and hope that others with similar symptoms heed the warning signs and get help ASAP as well.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:32 am

User avatar You're very welcome and I'm happy to hear you've made an appointment. Please do keep us updated and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just a senile old mole.
Good luck to you.

|