News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Dry/scaly mole that has changed colors, itchy and bleeding

chelsey12rose - Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I have a mole on the side of my abdomen that has been changing for last 6 weeks. It has become dry/scaly, almost scab like with dark red spots in it. It is itchy and painful to touch. Earlier today a portion of this scabby mole has tore off and has been bleeding for a while. Do moles "die" and fall off or is this more serious and requires medical attention? If so, how urgent is it? History of 2nd degree sunburns repeatedly summer after summer growing up in Southern California. Now live in Phoenix Arizona.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

User avatar Hello --

While moles do sometimes become senile and die, what you're describing, especially given your history of severe sunburns and the places where you've lived and are now living, the far greater likelihood is that this is a classic presentation of a mole having turned cancerous. While it sounds like it may well be the less serious squamous cell cancer, the only way to be certain is to have the thing removed and biopsied at once. I can't overemphasize the urgency of having this clarified ASAP. If it's squamous it can be watched and removal may well put an end to it. If it's melanoma the problem will be more complicated and will require deeper excision and more thorough followup.

I hope this is helpful and that you will act with all due deliberate speed. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 chelsey12rose - Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Thank you for your insight. I have an appt scheduled with dermatologist. The mole did end up falling off but the spot where it once was looks odd. I appreciate your help and hope that others with similar symptoms heed the warning signs and get help ASAP as well.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:32 am

User avatar You're very welcome and I'm happy to hear you've made an appointment. Please do keep us updated and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just a senile old mole.
Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here