Question: small non-itchy bumps in a row, and other rash-like ones

zingy - Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 am

52 y/o female, healthy, non-smoker, clean, no allergies, no new laundry or personal soaps used. Living in Louisiana now about a month, next to a field of trees.

first my man noticed i had a row of red bumps about every six inches up the backside of my body, from foot to shoulder. on both sides of my body.
the one on my ankle itched, but the others didn't.
almost in a line, but they didn't seem to follow nerve tracts.
after a week, they are barely noticeable.
these didn't pus or blister, but got red like a mosquito bite.

the thing is, the only one that itched is the one on my ankle. i woke up rubbing my foot on my ankle bite.
my man sleeps in the same bed with me, and he doesn't have any such bites.

about a week ago i got 8 new red bumps on my left foot going up my ankle,
about one inch apart, in a row. those don't itch, either.

then i had two rows of white bumps coming off from my left elbow,
each about 1/6 inch away from the next bump, 4 inches long each row.
same thing on the back of my right hand, where the hand bones are between the middle finger and the finger next to the pinky finger.
a juicy vein runs along that crevice.
i rub these, because the white bumps feel weird.
i believe that rubbing them has reddened them, but they don't itch, either.
these didn't pus or blister.

but wouldn't bug bites itch? i'm calling them bites, but maybe they are allergic reactions, or what else could they be?

i did do laundry again to try and wash out any bugs that might be causing this,
but i still got them.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 pm

It seems the most likely explanation would be some sort of bug bites. These seem to follow veins rather than nerve pathways, which is what mosquitos and other parasitic, blood-seeking pests do: follow along a vein pathway. The fact that your man doesn't have the same thing happening is not entirely surprising, as certain insects will be attracted to certain people due to chemical attraction that's not present in another person living in close proximity. The question is: what is biting you? You're certainly in a mosquito area, but there are other possibilities as well. Also,some spider bites (as well as mosquito bites) tend to not itch while others do. One would expect them to all feel the same, but often the earliest bite will produce the most itching.

Use of some sort of repellant, for a trial period, might be helpful in clearing up the mystery. It might not be the most popular choice, but if it brings this problem to a halt we can at least be fairly certain it's some sort of insect biting. If this doesn't work you'll probably have to have some blood work done in order to determine what may be causing this.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please update us.
 zingy - Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:21 am

Thank you for your reply, Dr. Kenyon.

i ended up having two more similar outbreaks, and the last time i was able to go to a CVS walk-in clinic. NP interviewed me, and said it was an allergic reacton to something, and suggested hydrocortisone cream.

a couple days later i got two pairs of red spots on the back of one hand, while i was doing things - not just in bed. these were different than the other bumps. within hours the paired spots swelled up, and the two became one blister all puffed up. i didn't itch or do anything to them, and after 24 hours they dried up, but left herpes-like blisters. no pain. here now a week later, they are scabbed and look horrible.

one of the original blisters from original post, one by my knee, still looks horrible. it left a round red ring about the size of a dime, with tiny red dots within it looking scabby.

i had washed all bedding and clothes, and have even fumigated the rv i live in. i've still broken out since then.

i've seen some pictures on-line of bed bug bites, and they looked like the big round red bites that were in a row. some photos showed more of a rash-like appearance.

thanks for any more help anyone has.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 am

User avatar I had thought of bedbugs (which are enjoying a huge comeback in the US right now) but figured that your man not having the same problem probably ruled them out. However, they are parasitical, so they may be doing the same thing mosquitos and other blood-feasting pests do, which is to leave some people alone and really torment others. You have to be a real detective to find these guys, usually using a flashlight at night to check the floor of the room, because they are extremely sneaky. If you do find them in the room, you've definitely solved the mystery, and then you have to solve the problem by bringing in an exterminator. This could be the problem!

|