News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: post shingles itching

rajivb - Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am

I am+ 59 and had shingles about two months back.
I donot have pain now but itching and a tingling sensation on left shoulder and in the neck region.The symptoms are more pronounced in lying position and at night.I was till recently taking Gabapentin and Atarax - i am not on any medicine for last 10 days.What can be done to relieve the itching and cure the tingling sensation?
How long will this condition last and is there any long term effect of taking Gabapentin and Atarax. I also occasionally use 2% Xylocaine jelly which gives temporary relief.Can i continue to use Xylocaine over a long period? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
Some people do have longer-lasting effects even after the shingles lesions have healed. I suspect this will improve over time. You can use the xylocaine for the itching without excessive worry if you are healthy and without liver, kidney, heart or other health problems, and it should not be used in large doses. Some people are also sensitive to it so if you develop any signs of breathing difficulty, rapid heart rate or other allergic-type symptoms you should discontinue use.

Sometimes anti-inflammatory drugs help with postherpetic neuralgia, caused by the nerve damage done by the virus. The itching may be a form of this. An Aveeno bath might be helpful and some people have found relief with vinegar applied with cotton. Repeat in an hour and apply several times during the day. Caladryl lotion can also help.

Good luck on your complete recovery.
 rajivb - Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 am

Is it safe l\to apply Xylocaine jelly locally- how many applications in a day will be safe?
pl advise.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here