Question: Weight Lifting and Keloid Scarring

Falcone - Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 pm

I have Keloid/Hypertrophic scarring on my chest from acne. I was wondering as my chest expands through weight lifting will this trigger the scar to grow. The Scar im conerned about is 7 years old and hasn't grown much outside the original wound yet, but im pretty certain it is expanding and red at the sides. Could this be a result of weight lifting and should I be concerned about the rest?
 Falcone - Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:38 am

My apologies. I actually submitted this question twice (as I didnt realise it had been posted after 3 weeks).
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:39 pm

With keloid scarring it is possible, in unusual situations, for the scar to expand. One such situation would be such as weight training, where the area is markedly expanded. The edges of the keloid tissue have to stretch or they'd simply break. However, it is unlikely the raised area will spread as much. Some reddening is natural because of the stretch, but some of this will fade most likely. There is a slight potential for the scar tissue to expand in order to remain proportional, but it's unlikely to pose much of a cosmetic change.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this.

|