News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Acne, Blackheads and Pollutant-magnet skin

Tesla - Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:40 am

Hello, I am a 24 year old male. I have a very oily skin that loves the pollution in my country. My pores are always clogged and that results in acne and black heads. I go to the steam room every once in a while but it doesn't seem to help, along with applying Retin-A. I also use a purifying face wash once or twice a day.

What more can I do to at least improve my appearance?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are effective acne treatments available by prescription but you would need to see a dermatologist to determine the type of acne and what would be most helpful for it. Acne is caused from the inside out so don't overdo the scrubbing, avoid harsh chemicals or abrasives. Wash daily with a mild cleanser. Topical benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can help. Use these sparingly.

Prescription treatment may include Accutane (isotretinoin), which has a very good success rate and some people respond to antibiotics which cut down on the bacteria the pores seem to attract.

Good luck.
 BamaGrl - Mon May 04, 2009 1:43 am

I have had problems with oily face skin forever. It is so embarrassing because some people think I am sweating because my face is so shiny/oily. I also have bad acne on my face, which I have had ever since I was little. I mean, in the first grade my teacher thought I had the chicken pox, but it was just bumps. I have tried every acne medication under the sun. Plus, I get annoyed trying to find the right type of make-up for me. A lot of make up I have tried breaks my face out. Also, my skin is so oily that even though my make-up will say oil-free it still doesn't work for my face. My face will still get oily. My face will get so oily that it feels dirty. I wish there was something I could try to control the oil..I think that is the main reason why I have so many break outs is because of my oily face. Everything I have tried never works. Some stuff seems to work the first 3 days I try it, but then after that it just stops working. I would love to be able to go around wearing make-up and have my face look refreshed all day or almost all day.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here