News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Treatment of Keloids

Falcone - Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:57 am

I am 24/male and have around 6 Keloids on my chest, ranging from 2- 8 years in age, and caused by a few cystic acne break outs, they are red and raised but not longer than 1-1.5cm in diameter.

I have been using Dermatix Silicone Gel (in almost constant contact with my body) for around a month though (I know long term use is required) and I am seeing a plastic surgeon about have pulse-dye laser therapy, which I understand will fade the hyperpigmentation.

What I would like to know. Is what kind of results should I expect from the laser? And if I continue my use of the Dermatix for long term 6months-year (I hope to incorporate sheeting also) is it possible or even likely that I will see a improvement in the size of my keloids - even my older ones?

If not, is there any hope for other treatments (on invasive as I know the risks of this) now or perhaps in the pipeline?

Keeping in mind, I have already had around 6-8 steroid injections over the years and although they originally helped - they came back and recent injections have disfigured the keloids further in my opinion.

Thank, you I understand there is more than one question here but they are all related to the treatment of my keloids, and any reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:37 pm

User avatar Hello --

It's very difficult to predict the outcome of a procedure like this for a given individual, as keloid tissue tends to behave differently for each person. However, the laser processes are starting to show more promise. I would be unwise to try and tell you what to expect, except that you should see at least some imrpovement, although over time this may have to be repeated one or more times for the best results.

I wish I could give you a more concrete answer, but it's really difficult to know how a given individual will respond. Please follow up with us here though, and also update us once the procedure has been done.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here