News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Very itchy rash mainly on forearms

GreyKitten - Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 pm

I went on holiday at the beginning of December and got quite a lot of mosquito bites. After we came back the 'bites' kept appearing, I thought I'd packed a mossie in my luggage!. Anyway, since then it's got steadily worse and is changing a bit.

I now have a mixture of - 'normal' hives; bright pink patches which look flat but feel bumpy; clusters of tiny, hard and extremely itchy bumps which are either skin coloured or red (usually due to scratching); a few small, hard and well-defined fluid filled blisters which appear singly or in pairs on red patches, usually on the outer edge of my hands. Whichever area is currently the most itchy is also warm to the touch.

Most of this is on the outer sides of my forearms, with the small hard bumps occuring mainly within a couple of inches of my elbows. It comes and goes on my fingers but sometimes I get the 'pricked by a hundred needles' feeling over the backs of my hands. I have a few outbreaks of regular hives on my lower legs and feet, sometimes I get blisters or bumps on my feet but they’re pretty transient. I also get a lot of large hives on my bum!! Occasionally my back goes crazy and I get needle-pricking and itching so bad that it makes me flinch - this usually only lasts for an hour or two then dies down.

When the larger bumps actually go they leave either a purplish bruise (which doesn't seem to fade) or a light brown discolouration and they still itch from time to time (not fair - when they're gone they should stay gone!). I can also feel lots of bumps under the skin which aren't visible.

Anything touching the skin on my forearms makes me itch, it feels like I've just had a hair cut and you get the little hairs fall on your arms!

I've always been prone to hives but never anything like this! My husband has no rash at all so I don't think it's bugs. The only thing 'out of the ordinary' is that the usual mouse infestation that we have at work seems to be heavier than usual. However, I do have a stressful job and my marriage is, at times, 'volatile'.

I'm 54, female, overweight, not on any medication, only known medical condition at present is hypertension. I'm taking an 'over-the-counter' antihistamine daily but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

If this sounds familiar or anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful, this is really beginning to get me down...........
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes hypersensitivity responses require a prescription steroid-based medication to heal so if several days of antihistamine has not helped you should see your doctor.

You may be having ongoing contact rashes rather than just a prolonged reaction to the initial offender. Switch to mild, non-perfumed soaps, lotions, detergents, etc. to see if it makes a difference. You could also try a mild over-the-counter hydrocortisone ointment or Caladryl lotion too.

Good luck
 hyperbuddy45 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:16 pm

i practically have the same thing but i don't know if its mosquitos or other bites because one day i woke up with hundreds of bug bites and i cleaned my whole house and still saw nothing, and as the days pass my arms get super itchy and its just there i don't know what bit me because i hundreds of hundreds of bites and now im having trouble with this website because i don't know how to ask anyone a question so i guess i just chose to post what i can here if you can help i thank you very very much, because im relaly irritated with these bites.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 pm

User avatar Hello,
Do you have a pet which might have brought fleas? Scabies also affects many people in all walks of life, particularly in close quarters. If so, diligence in household extermination is needed. All linens must be washed in hot water, vacuuming should be done extensively and bag thrown out afterward.

The extent to which any of these conditions bothers you can vary depending on your sensitivity. Some people hardly notice; while others react severely with a hypersensitive response.

To get an accurate diagnosis you probably need to see a doctor such as a dermatologist. The intense itching may be relieved with antihistamine medication.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here