Question: Strange sore or blister INSIDE stretch mark, what is it?

2Mommy1 - Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

I am 22 years old and just had a baby about 7 months ago, this left me with quite a few stretch marks. One in particular is causing me to worry a bit or at least whats in it, it is a larger one, very long and deep located around my groin area (bikini line) the tissue inside it is very thin. I just noticed these sores (there are currently 2 they came one at a time) or blisters inside of this one stretch mark. I only knew they were there when I happened to feel around this area and felt a bump under the skin that stung when touched. It looked like blood under the skin but nothing was raised above the skin it was all underneath. As days passed the first one looked like it was coming to the surface if that makes sense, becoming darker, and the skin on top was peeling away. Then it just bled like it popped, like a blood blister but it didnt seem like a blister, this was last night and as this happened I noticed another spot underneath this inside the same stretch mark that just appeared. Now that the first one has ruptured the skin is raw and red as if it were a blister (when it started it was about the size of a pencil eraser, if that, and after it opened up it became about the size of half a penny maybe). This just concerns me because its just strange to me that I have these things inside a stretch mark and they are suddenly there, I never noticed anything like itching or pain there before I saw them. I thought for a blood blister to form there would first have to be some sort of "trauma" in the area first like a pinch or something like that. I am confused as to what this is, if anything, and I don't know if I need to seek medical attention or not, I don't want to go to the doctor for a blister after all (especially un-insured) but I don't want to do nothing when it could be something serious. Should I worry? Can anyone tell me what this may be? There is no visible pus in the area just blood and clearish yellow fluid after rupture...kind of like what a pimple does after popping. No smell to it as far as I can tell, and its a little sore now. I have been keeping it covered with band-aids for fear of staph infection, I don't know if thats it but just to be safe, also every time I change them I wipe with alcohol which stings more as time goes on. Ouch! So sorry if I am confusing in any way I tend to be that way with details. Please assist me if you can.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:46 pm

User avatar Hi there --

This is odd, given that it's inside the borders of a stretch mark, which may just have caused the area to become more vulnerable to the usual sorts of dermatologic infections and irritations that tend to happen right there anyway. They wouldn't have such an easy time establishing themselves were it not for the placement of the stretch mark.

This could be a staph infection or could be simple irritation gone a step or so further due to the more delicate nature of stretched tissues. While I wouldn't say "be worried" I would say a healthy concern is warranted and that this should be seen by a doctor -- preferably a dermatologist -- for the most accurate evaluation and treatment, especially since it's something that could recur.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|