Question: Roaccutane - missing period not pregnant

nfs197 - Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:22 am

Hello. I'm a 23 year old female who have been taking Roaccutane for 3 months now. I started with a 20g dose daily for the first month then moved up to 40g the next 2 months. My skin is starting to clear up now but I didn't have the worst acne in the first place. My problem is with one side effect which I have searched online for but didn't find at any website I checked. I didn't have my period for 2 months. Just once, a week after I started the treatment. I didn't have unprotected sex for 3 and a half months so I'm sure I'm not pregnant but to be even more sure I took many pregnancy tests, last one yesterday, and I am not pregnant. I used to have my preiod regularly EVERY 25 days. I gained weight and my mood swings are getting out of hand. My doctor said it's normal but I didn't find anything about missing periods as a side effect online. Is it normal? Can I just stop taking Roaccutane or are there steps I should follow?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:05 pm

The important thing is to be sure you are using reliable contraceptives while taking this drug. But, each person reacts differently so just because it has not been listed as a common side effect doesn't mean it can't happen. Also, you could be having other hormonal fluctuation that caused the missed periods - not necessarily caused by the medication. You do not need to have a period to be healthy and normal so no need to discontinue the medication just in order to resume periods. It's just pregnancy we need to guard against - lack of periods is not a concern and will probably self-regulate in time. If in doubt, repeat the pregnancy test next week.

|