News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: How can I get rid of stretch marks?

Broncos99 - Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:06 am

I previosuly lost a large amount of weight,and now how deep stretch marks in mid section. Is there any way to remove or at least reduce the apperance of these?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

User avatar Hello
Congratulations on this health improvement you have made. The stretch marks are a small price to pay for the benefit you will receive and they will fade in time to be less noticeable.

One study showed topical 0.1% tretinoin (retinoic acid) cream to be beneficial over six months, with definite improvement in the majority of users. This is available by prescription and many insurance plans do not cover it since it is often used for cosmetic purposes, such as this.

I'm afraid I know of no "magic ointments, creams or potions that will make them disappear completely. Infomercial and internet-promoted creams that claim to take away stretch marks have been shown to be about as effective as regular moisturizers so don't waste your money on high-priced snake oil. It won't hurt to try regular moisturizers though.

Best wishes
 dnflgmn - Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi,
My doctor recommended I get laser treatments (3x) for stretch marks. Is there any evidence that this is effective at reducing the appearance of stretch marks (beyond the natural fading process over time)?
Thanks.
 PaulOverThere - Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm an overweight male with stretch marks that were BIG and purple up to 1cm wide.

Palmers Post Natal Firming Lotion

Fixed them all right up. Took 3 days of applying said cream and I responded amazingly. Try some after pregnancy creams before you go exposing yourself to lasers and what not.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here