Question: Tetralysal 300 (Lymecycline) for Acne

Falcone - Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I have been prescribed this by my dermatologist. I am to take 1 per day - 408mg (equivalent to 300mg of tetracycline base).

I have the odd cyst and some smaller spots on my chest and back, and some spots (usually white heads, but some take around a week to come to a head - these are less common).

I would descirbe my acne as mild to approaching moderate at times.

I was wondering is this dosage/drug too strong for my condition? (I have a 3 month course).

I am very fearful of permanent side effects (reduced quality of vision, depression, lethargy etc).
As I suffered from these from taking Roaccutane years ago (although depression faded -untreated).
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:38 pm

While the drug you're considering (lymecycline) is related to Roaccutane, it's not the same and the dosage you're prescribed is the only one it comes in, and is a moderate dose. It can have, as a transient side effect, reduced visual acuity, mainly due to light sensitivity, but isn't known to cause any permanent visual damage. There's nothing in the literature about it causing depression or lethargy either, both of which can sometimes occur with Accutane and its brand variants.

The dose is appropriate assuming you have no untoward allergic reactions. Just bear in mind this drug can cause photosensitivity, and this can, in turn, cause visual problems while it's being taken. Sunglasses are not a bad idea. Other than that only the usual antibiotic-related common side effects such as lower GI disturbances are usually seen.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 Falcone - Sat May 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Can I ask is any damage to the teeth is causes likely to be permanent (i.e. discolouration - yello) or would it just be for the duration of the course?

Thanks again.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:25 pm

The teeth staining associated with Tetracycline use has been noted in infants and young children. It is not considered a risk for adults. This is not to say adult teeth don't stain - they do - but not from this drug. Aging also results in darkening of the teeth. It is considered normal.

___N - Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi

I have been using Tetralysal 300 for four months now. I am experiencing itching and soarness around and in my genital part. Do you think that it can be something associated with tetralysal?

thanks

|