Question: Sunblock for Rosacea Patients

Trimmy - Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 am

Hi, I was wondering what is the best product for people suffering from rosacea. I have a titanium dioxide based (9.1%) neutrogena sunblock, but it tends to show up as really white on my skin unless I rub it in really hard (which causes my rosacea to flare up). I know that they say that titanium or zinc based sunblocks are the best, especially for the summer time, but are there others that blend in better?

What kind would be recommended for winter time? My brother, who also has rosacea, recommended Kiehl's sunblock for fall/winter and Blue Lizard for spring/summer. Are these good products to use? Are there better types?

Also, this is less important but I'm currently using sulfur Sulfacetamide as my primary topical treatment. It works ok, but would you recommend something else?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:28 pm

After exploring and researching this question at length, it seems your brother's adivce is probably as good as any you're likely to get, and both products would appear to be appropriate, especially to the seasons mentioned. They've both been developed carefully and are less likely than the most effective salts-and-metals blocks to aggravate the condition.

As for the oral medication, if it's working it's probably a good choice, but one with which I'm not familiar (in this application). Usually either metronidazole, oral antibiotics such as tetracycline or minocycline, or, in some cases, Isotretinoin (Accutane) are used, often in combination. In addition sometimes hydrocortisone cream is recommended. But again, if the sulfonamide you're using is effective you probably should go with what works.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this. Please follow up here with us as needed.
 Trimmy - Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll try using the Kiehl's and blue lizard. I appreciate the fact that you researched it for me

|