News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Sunblock for Rosacea Patients

Trimmy - Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 am

Hi, I was wondering what is the best product for people suffering from rosacea. I have a titanium dioxide based (9.1%) neutrogena sunblock, but it tends to show up as really white on my skin unless I rub it in really hard (which causes my rosacea to flare up). I know that they say that titanium or zinc based sunblocks are the best, especially for the summer time, but are there others that blend in better?

What kind would be recommended for winter time? My brother, who also has rosacea, recommended Kiehl's sunblock for fall/winter and Blue Lizard for spring/summer. Are these good products to use? Are there better types?

Also, this is less important but I'm currently using sulfur Sulfacetamide as my primary topical treatment. It works ok, but would you recommend something else?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:28 pm

User avatar Hello --

After exploring and researching this question at length, it seems your brother's adivce is probably as good as any you're likely to get, and both products would appear to be appropriate, especially to the seasons mentioned. They've both been developed carefully and are less likely than the most effective salts-and-metals blocks to aggravate the condition.

As for the oral medication, if it's working it's probably a good choice, but one with which I'm not familiar (in this application). Usually either metronidazole, oral antibiotics such as tetracycline or minocycline, or, in some cases, Isotretinoin (Accutane) are used, often in combination. In addition sometimes hydrocortisone cream is recommended. But again, if the sulfonamide you're using is effective you probably should go with what works.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this. Please follow up here with us as needed.
 Trimmy - Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll try using the Kiehl's and blue lizard. I appreciate the fact that you researched it for me

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here