Question: Smoking while on Doryx

baileyt - Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 am

I'm currently taking Doryx for my acne and I was wondering if it's ok to smoke cigarettes while on it. A friend said something about it as I was about to light up shortly after taking my pill. I read through the Doryx information card and I didn't see anything about not smoking, but I just wanted to make sure.

John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 pm

Much as I'd love to have an excuse to give you an additional reason not to smoke (not there aren't already enough good reasons), I can find nothing in the Doryx literature to even suggest smoking could cause a problem uniquely with this drug.

The only reason (other than perhaps a well-intended attempt to get you to stop) I can think of is that smoking can exacerbate acne and slow the delivery of any drug, but especially antibiotics to the skin. This would make sense but I doubt this is what your friend had in mind. Fact is it will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment, but there's no specific problem I know of that would result from an interaction with tobacco by-products.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck to you with this.

|