News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: GROWING REDISH PURPLE PATCH ABOVE RIGHT ANKLE

40YEAROLDLADY - Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Good evening,
I have a 6 inch by 4 inch patch of skin that is getting larger, its color is redish purple, no flakes, doesn't itch, the skin however looks like its very tight there. I am a far skinned red head, i didn't get hurt- it just started growing, its warm to the touch and if you push on it changes white quickly, almost like a sun burn, its shape is like a foot print minus the toes, I noticed when i take a shower it becomes very red, i circled it with a marked 1 day and with in 2 days it passed it completely, I don't have insurance, so if a treatment is possible would so appreciate it, I also have really bad sider viens on this leg, I don't know if thats related!
thanks for your time
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 pm

User avatar Hi there --

This sounds like a hemangioma, which is basically a blood vessel tumor. They are more common in fair-skinned people, and you do have some history of problem leg veins, so this may simply be a related result of that. It's unlikely to go away on its own, and usually these are fairly simple to treat. I do think it should be examined just to be sure there's nothing more serious going on, simply because of the rather abrupt and rapid development of it. They are usually quite benign, but this one has evolved pretty quickly, so deserves medical attention. If you don't have medical insurance you really need to watch this closely and if there are any additional changes, including size, you're going to have to bit the bullet and hope the doctor will work with you on a sliding scale or refer you to someone who will.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here