Question: Moved from Oh to TX, whole body itching sensation, rash?

350zdude - Fri May 01, 2009 4:06 am

I'm from Ohio, and I moved to Texas about 60 days ago. About a week after I got here, I started getting an itching sensation all over my body, and after itching it would turn into a bad rash. It was most noticeable on my arms and thighs. I left it alone for a few weeks, and it kept getting worse, to the point of being uncomfortable to sleep or do anything all day long. Taking a shower relieved the pain, but as soon as I got out, the itching came back.

Eventually I saw a medical specialist, and they recommended I change laundry detergent, which I did, to hypoallergenic. Nothing really changed. I changed my clothes, sheets, blankets, soap, shampoo, everything, and the itching and rash was still there. I eventually tried hydrocotozone, which worked at getting the red bumps away, but they are back now and its like a game of catchup putting the lotion on to get rid of the bumps, and they still come back somehow. They are very bad on my wrists and hands, but I get the most itching sensation on my thighs. Ive tried everything, and I am out of ideas of exactly what I have, or how to get rid of it. The only thing I can think of is possibly I am allergic to the water, but I find that unlikely and have no way of testing to see if that's the problem. Do you have any advise?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat May 09, 2009 10:50 am

Perhaps it is poison Ivy or poison oak. Have you possibly come in contact with any of those plants? Some people do have an allergic reaction from them which presents as an itchy rash.
I also wonder if it could be an allergy to some pollens in the air this time of year. You are new to your surroundings and are likely coming into contact with pollens your body is not use to. Usually pollen allergies will cause more of a respiratory tract problem such as sneezing and coughing with watery itchy eyes. However, I am thinking in your case it could be causing your skin to itch and get a rash.
Have you tried any antihistamines over the counter such as Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec? You might ask your doctor if you can try one of those. It may help. You might also try Benadryl cream on the rash areas.
I also might suggest some oatmeal baths. Use something like Aveeno oatmeal bath preparations. Do not make the water really hot though. Just warm. Oatmeal baths will not cure the rash, but may provide short term relief.

The olny other suggestions I could make would be to see an allergy specialist if the rash does not go away soon. They can perform tests to see what you are allergic to.
It sounds as if the move from Ohio to Texas has some connection with the rash and itching. Likely there is something in the environment in Texas that you were not exposed to in Ohio.

Debra Van Ness RN

|