Question: Uncurable Chronic/Cholinergic Urticaria?

daGboy - Sat May 02, 2009 5:32 pm

I'm a 31 year old caucasian male, Irish heritage, medium complexion and Type II skin. When I was around 22 I started having blotchy red skin confined to my face after showers and this only happened during the winter months or whenever I wasnt exposed to UV light. I determined sun tanning (atrificial or natural) would keep the redness at bay. The redness has NEVER itched, turned to whelps, and has ALWAYS been confined to my face.

In October 2008 I got out of the shower and noticed the redness was back for the winter months. I went tanning and it never left. Its been chronic and idiopathic for ~ 7 months now. I was disgnosed with Urticaria and have ran the gamut of H1 and H1 antagonist, by theirselves and in conjunction. Im currently taking Ranidine (2 x 150mg/day), Hydroxyzine (3-4 x 25mg/daily), and Doxepin (3-5 x 25mg/nightly) and it comes and goes.

I'm not a doctor, but I have done a lot of internet research on this and my urticaria seems to be different than what most report. I never have whelps, never itch, seems to be aggravated by heat and sometimes goes away after an hour, but often stays for days or weeks on end. The face feels warm to the touch and the redness is confined to my face only. This seems similar to cholinergic urticaria, but not quite. Is there a chance this could be another condition and not urticaria. I have had several episodes of the redness coming for days and slightly swelling the face, enlarging the pores, and being red all over the face. Normally its confined to the cheeks and forehead. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:59 am

User avatar Hello,An angioneurotic odema again a form of allergy never itches but causes swelling of tissues including the face,and mucosa.It can occur sometimes with out mucosal involvement.Here also allergy medications are mainstay in treatment.

|