News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Peeling Lips

john244 - Sun May 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi, I'm 25 years old and have had a problem for around 3 years. The skin on my lips constantly peels every 3-4 days.The peeling is not on the entire lip. It is only in the inner region where the mouth opens . The peeling is still very visible. The dead skin is thick and hard, but it turns soft and white when in contact with water. This peeling cycle continues over and over.
I have seen 3 dermatologists about this condition. They have given me numerous types of steroid creams and antifungals. I have also tried normal moisterizers such as vaseline but they made the condition worse. I tried leaving the dead skin alone for a number of weeks without touching it or bringing it in contact with water but it did nothing and the skin just continued peeling. At one point I thought it was because of something internal so I took vitamins and saw a chinese doctor who gave me some herbs but again nothing worked.
I did some reading online and the condition I have is called exfoliative cheilitis. I also have fordyce spots on my upper lip close to the exfoliating region.

Are there any recomendations to get rid of this or to ease the peeling?

Thanks
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:43 am

User avatar Hi,This is indeed exfoliative chelitis and I have found that Zinc deficiency could predispose,It ould be a good idea to try a course of zincovit with the consultation of your doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here