News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Premature hairloss? Say it ain't so!!

ajrunke - Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:37 am

I'm a 24 year old male and I am experiencing what I perceive to be premature hair loss. I am hoping there are other non serious reasons as to why I may be losing my hair. Both of my grandparents have full heads of hair, though one of them is slightly thinned. My dad has thinned hair, but he isn't bald. Anyway, for the past 3-4 weeks, as I've been shampooing my hair, I've noticed hair coming off my scalp when I look at my hands. The amount of individual pieces of hair that I lose is about 15-20 in total. After I rub my scalp numerous times, it seems to subside. It seems more centralized on the top of my head, but it's hard to tell because my hair gets quite short as it progresses downwards on my scalp. I've noticed the short pieces on my hand also, but not as numerous. Also, I have noticed that it's not always the same amount. Sometimes I have to rub quite vigorously to get any hair to come out. My hair does not look thinned at all. I'm just curious, are there any reasons besides ::dreaded:: going bald?? I've read about a thyroid imbalance, but of course the only way to tell that is to get blood work done...
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

User avatar The amount of hair lost in your case is quite normal,and does not need any worry.Take good nutritious diet rich in proteins and vitamins.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here