Question: Earlobe rash?

SeraM - Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I have this red rash-type looking thing that shows up on my ears every now and then. This one is on the top, sometimes it is on my lobe. I don't think it is a true rash because *it does NOT itch*. It is not raised, I can not feel it when I touch it. It may be broken blood vessels, but I am not sure. They usually go away within a week so I doubt they are anything particularly bad. I have 2 pictures of it here:
http://img90.imageshack.us/i/img3059x.jpg/
http://img137.imageshack.us/i/img3063.jpg/

They aren't the clearest but the best I could get...it kind of looks like little pinpricks of red, you can't see that detail in the photos.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I am thinking maybe I burst blood vessels by sleeping on it too long (I sleep on the same side a lot)? Does that sound possible?

Thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:30 pm

User avatar Hello,The photograph that you sent makes me think of berloque dermatitis which is an allergy to certain perfumes or cologne.I wonder whether you dab the perfume on that side?Contact dermatitis to fabrics also can induce such a reaction.Otherwise I do not see any thing to worry.Do consult your dermatologist who can give you the reassurance after a patch testing, if he feels necessary.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:33 pm

SeraM - Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:27 am

Hm, no I do not wear perfume or cologone. I have had some contact dermatitis problems on my arm in the past (but never figured out what I was allergic to) so I guess it is possible it is affecting my earlobe too. Could shampoo do this?
 SeraM - Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 am

Also, if it is dermatitis - should it itch? Mine does not itch.
As you said, it's probably nothing to be very concerned about. I am just curious.

Thank you!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 am

User avatar Hi,Discoid eczemas ie coin shaped eczemas are relatively nonitchy compared with the counterparts.Shampooing is quite fine.

|