Question: Glutathion tab as antioxident

AURORA3 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm

I heard about gluta tab as antioxident and i heard also that should be taken with vit c tab to get the benifet,but i read that gluta if taken through mouth will not work and i am confused, so i have 5 questions :
1-is it really antioxident
2-should be taken with vit c in double dose(500 mg glu and 1000 mg vit c) to work
3-can it work if taken through mouth
4-is it safe if taken during pregnancy specially if i got pregnant while using it ,i mean befor missing period,and during lactation
5- is it really used to lightening the skin or this is fake information
Thanx
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:23 pm

The amount of research on glutathione as a supplement is very limited so we really can't say how much good it may do. Additionally it is probably not well absorbed into the body when taken by mouth so in supplemental tablet form it may be a waste of money, though probably not harmful unless you have a milk allergy or have had an organ transplant. I am not aware of any improvement in absorption when taken with vitamin C. I would not take it while pregnant because it's best to avoid any drugs your doctor has not approved. We don't know exactly how supplements will affect a developing baby so the safest course is to avoid them. I think the claim about skin lightening is questionable and have found nothing to support this.

It is naturally occurring in the body and performs an important function. Dean Jones, PhD, professor of biochemistry and director of nutritional health sciences at Emory University in Atlanta says, "Glutathione occurs naturally in many foods, and people who eat well probably have enough in their diets."

|