News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Glutathion tab as antioxident

AURORA3 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi,
I heard about gluta tab as antioxident and i heard also that should be taken with vit c tab to get the benifet,but i read that gluta if taken through mouth will not work and i am confused, so i have 5 questions :
1-is it really antioxident
2-should be taken with vit c in double dose(500 mg glu and 1000 mg vit c) to work
3-can it work if taken through mouth
4-is it safe if taken during pregnancy specially if i got pregnant while using it ,i mean befor missing period,and during lactation
5- is it really used to lightening the skin or this is fake information
Thanx
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
The amount of research on glutathione as a supplement is very limited so we really can't say how much good it may do. Additionally it is probably not well absorbed into the body when taken by mouth so in supplemental tablet form it may be a waste of money, though probably not harmful unless you have a milk allergy or have had an organ transplant. I am not aware of any improvement in absorption when taken with vitamin C. I would not take it while pregnant because it's best to avoid any drugs your doctor has not approved. We don't know exactly how supplements will affect a developing baby so the safest course is to avoid them. I think the claim about skin lightening is questionable and have found nothing to support this.

It is naturally occurring in the body and performs an important function. Dean Jones, PhD, professor of biochemistry and director of nutritional health sciences at Emory University in Atlanta says, "Glutathione occurs naturally in many foods, and people who eat well probably have enough in their diets."

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here