News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Bumps/hive from scratching

commentcomment - Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 pm

This started two days ago. I would suddenly feel very itchy and there are no signs of bug bites. When I scratch, my skin will turn into a rash with hives. Out of the blue, I'll scratch an area of skin and an inflamed rash will form from the scratching .Then it becomes a little bit itchy and I'll scratch it and hives form in the shape of scratch marks, also creating smaller hive bumps within the area being scratched. When this happens, I can simply scratch any area of my skin and the scratch lines will turn into hives or bumps! This does not happen throughout the day but only sometimes. Sometimes I can see the goosebumps before I scratch a particular area such as my arm, after a few seconds on scratching, the bumps start appearing. I don't think I have any allergies and I am in good health. I also know it's not contageous because the people around me don't experience it. Why does my skin flare up like this for no apparent reason sometimes?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:30 pm

User avatar Hello,What you have is known as dermographism a form of physical urticaria.Little pressure to the skin is enough to break out a hives there.One variant is cholinergic urticaria in which sweating is enough to precipitate.Cold can cause urticaria in some and known as cold urticaria.Antihistaminics help,but only to control symptoms.Calamine can be applied externally if there is itching.Bestwishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here