News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Very Thin Hair - Only 18

dresdendale - Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Hiya,
I'm 18 male, and ive recently had alot of hairloss from the crown area of my head, up until around 4-5 days ago i was using alot of very strong hairspray as i have always had fine hair. To add to this i wasnt washing out before i slept, just adding more to it the day after. Allthough i noticed recently i was loosing alot of hair when i was washing it, and it was looking extremely thin after washing. Ive stopped using any hair products and am currently sticking to just washing it with low ph shampoo every 3 days. Im wondering the likely hood of male pattern baldness(some in my family have), beginning at my age. Whether the hairspray is more likely the cause for its current condition. I am also wondering if the hair lost from possible hairspray overuse and damage will regrow, or if its lost forever, help very very much appreciated ;<

I feel its worth noting its also somewhat itchy, it hasnt effected the back area/side area of my head (also where i used little to no hairspray but then also the parts unaffected by male pattern baldness)

Its all a very big hit to my self esteem, i have a job interview tomorrow and im scared out of my mind to take my hat off ;<
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
First I can assure you this is not caused by the hairspray and if there was such damage, it would not be permanent and, yes, you would regrow hair in that case.

Male pattern baldness can begin at your age. There are quite a few men who are bald at their 5 year class reunions. I know this doesn't make you feel better. You may get help with a product such as Rogaine (there are others as well) and these must be used daily. Improvement may be minimal but often it makes a difference in hair growth, especially when started while younger. You should see a dermatologist to be sure there is not another underlying condition causing this such as thyroid or other endocrine disorders.

If you learn it is just hereditary, you can explore alternatives or find a way to accept it. At least these days the bare head is actually much in vogue so try not to despair too much if your fate is like millions of other men. There are treatments, most of which are expensive and results are not guaranteed. Don't fall prey to internet and other advertising claims. If there are good options out there,the dermatologist will know about it first. These things are not secret and available only from questionable sources at outlandish prices. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Body image is important and both men and women are more confident with hair. Try to understand that it is not likely to affect employment or interpersonal relationships and it is mostly your own self-talk you have to wrestle with.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here