Question: Very Thin Hair - Only 18

dresdendale - Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Hiya,
I'm 18 male, and ive recently had alot of hairloss from the crown area of my head, up until around 4-5 days ago i was using alot of very strong hairspray as i have always had fine hair. To add to this i wasnt washing out before i slept, just adding more to it the day after. Allthough i noticed recently i was loosing alot of hair when i was washing it, and it was looking extremely thin after washing. Ive stopped using any hair products and am currently sticking to just washing it with low ph shampoo every 3 days. Im wondering the likely hood of male pattern baldness(some in my family have), beginning at my age. Whether the hairspray is more likely the cause for its current condition. I am also wondering if the hair lost from possible hairspray overuse and damage will regrow, or if its lost forever, help very very much appreciated ;<

I feel its worth noting its also somewhat itchy, it hasnt effected the back area/side area of my head (also where i used little to no hairspray but then also the parts unaffected by male pattern baldness)

Its all a very big hit to my self esteem, i have a job interview tomorrow and im scared out of my mind to take my hat off ;<
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm

First I can assure you this is not caused by the hairspray and if there was such damage, it would not be permanent and, yes, you would regrow hair in that case.

Male pattern baldness can begin at your age. There are quite a few men who are bald at their 5 year class reunions. I know this doesn't make you feel better. You may get help with a product such as Rogaine (there are others as well) and these must be used daily. Improvement may be minimal but often it makes a difference in hair growth, especially when started while younger. You should see a dermatologist to be sure there is not another underlying condition causing this such as thyroid or other endocrine disorders.

If you learn it is just hereditary, you can explore alternatives or find a way to accept it. At least these days the bare head is actually much in vogue so try not to despair too much if your fate is like millions of other men. There are treatments, most of which are expensive and results are not guaranteed. Don't fall prey to internet and other advertising claims. If there are good options out there,the dermatologist will know about it first. These things are not secret and available only from questionable sources at outlandish prices. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Body image is important and both men and women are more confident with hair. Try to understand that it is not likely to affect employment or interpersonal relationships and it is mostly your own self-talk you have to wrestle with.

|