Question: Bumps on outer forearms and thighs

ladonnascott - Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am

I have noticed that my outer forearms as well as my thighs feel rough to the touch. Upon looking closer, there are small red bumps, some which look like acne in these places. I do have keratosis pilaris, but it has only ever been on my upper arms and sometimes a bit on the backs of my thighs. The KP has always looked like larger pimples, which can be popped. This condition that has just appeared lately isn't noticable from a distance, but makes my skin feel like goose flesh. On my thighs it looks like every follicle is red (like pimples under the surface) and on my forearms it looks like tiny little pimples.

I have a 7 week old baby, so I've recently been pregnant. I also started taking a super B vitamin complex. These are the only two things I can think of that have changed recently around the time that these bumps appeared. Could it be the keratosis pilaris, and if so, why is it now spreading? What else could it be? There is no real irritation or itching of any kind. I mostly just notice how my skin doesn't feel smooth.

I hope someone knows what's going on here...
Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:28 am

User avatar Hello,As you must be quite aware of keratosis pilaris is genetic condition,and quite harmless.The common areas affected include thighs,and upper arms,and known to worsen after pregnancy.Another follicular hyperkeratosis occur in deficiencies.Phrynoderma could occur post pregnancy with rough hard skin and is due to vitA,and fatty acid deficiency.Best for you to take foods rich in B-Carotene like pappayas,carrots.Do consult your doctor for further treatment.Best wishes.
 ladonnascott - Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. It was very informative! I guess I'll switch from eating celery sticks and cauliflower with ranch dressing with my sandwich for lunch to celery and carrots. It does seem to be improving a bit since I first noticed it. Maybe my body was drained of nutrients from being pregnant. I ate very healthy while pregnant, but had gestational diabetes, so I didn't get much fat in my diet, except for diary products. Mostly grilled meats and steamed vegetables... Anyway, thanks again!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:44 am

User avatar Hello,Nice to hear that it is settling down and you should be back to normal soon with the present diet.Cheers.

|