Question: Pimple-like white bump on the side of my nose, under my eye

betsy123 - Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I have a hard, white, pimple-like bump on the side of my nose, under the corner of my left eye. It has been there for several months, at least 5. It does not hurt. It looks like I have a pimple that's ready to pop. It just will not go away. What could it be and is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:48 pm

User avatar Hello,The clinical picture described is of a syringoma,a common benign growth near the lower eyelid and of cosmetic significance.They are generally multiple.Certain differential diagnois needs mention.Milium can present like this and are keratin filled papules.Colloid milium occur on the light exposed skin like the face.Amyloid deposits could be a differential diagnosis.Small epidermal cysts are again to be thought of.But the most important reason to consult a dermatologist is to rule out Basal cell tumours which can look very benign at outset.Do consult and keep me informed.The milia and the cysts repond to cryotherapy.Best wishes.
 betsy123 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:45 pm

I looked up images on the conditions you mentioned, but it does not resemble any of these. I really looks like a pimple that is ready to pop. It's a small, white, raised bump,and not around my eyelid, but a half inch beneath my eye on the side of my nose. I will see a dermatologist soon and will post a reply. Keep any other guesses coming.

Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:51 am

User avatar Hello,I missed to mention Mollusum contagiosum,a dome shaped pimple like lesion again amenable to cryo.I have only narrated the differential diagnosis in the absence of a pic,and for all tht you know ,might as well be a simple acne.Do keep me posted.Bestwishes.
 betsy123 - Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:45 am

Got it! I talked to some friends and they both said it was a calcium deposit. They had both known someone who had this. They said to apply a very hot, wet washcloth to soften it, and then to pop it. I had to use a sterilized needle to help, and I washed the surface thoroughly and my hands first. But it worked! A hard, little, white bump came out. It hurt like crazy. But I'm happy it's finally gone. Thanks for helping!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:48 am

User avatar Good to hear that.So the
'local expertise" did a good job at that.Cheers.

|