News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: blood clots in my skin

brattymac - Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:04 pm

I've been getting raised bumps on my thighs and pelvic area that resemble cystic acne (friend had it in high school) but become swollen to the point where I HAVE to lancet them to relieve the pressure. If squeezed even slightly, they bleed somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon worth of blood and quite often have a large blood clot somewhere in the mix. I'm planning on seeing a doctor soon for this, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this? There is a bleeding disorder in my family on my mother's side but I can't remember what it's called. It presents as red spots on the skin and hemorrhagic nose bleeds. I don't have all the symptoms of this and so have not been diagnosed. I also have the Implanon method of birth control (forgot to put this on my medical history form when registering for the site). Can anyone help? Is this even a dermatological issue or should I seek elsewhere?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm

User avatar Hello,Before venturing any diagnosis one can only give an educated guess.There is history of hypermobility and family ho of Ehlers-Danlos.Easy bruising is an associated symptom with this syndrome and it needs to be thougt of.But in the absence of other findings like laxity of skin, unlikely.The other condition with nose bleeds and telangiectatic spots could have been Hereditary haemorrhagic telangectasia in the family.But you do not have any skin spots conforming to that.It is quite possible for normal people to bleed like this if a furuncle is squeezed with pressure.Do get your blood workup to rule out bleeding and clotting disorders.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here